Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Luongo the Captain??

So I'm a die hard Canucks fan but man do they ever drive me crazy. This summer has been filled with one stupid move after another and today I heard probably the dumbest move of them all.

The Canucks finally (1 month late) decided on a captain and who did they choose?? our goalie Roberto Luongo. Now don't get me wrong I love Luongo and I don't doubt that he is our best player but lets be serious he shouldnt be captain.

The NHL has a rule which does not allow for goalies to be captains and so Luongo wont be allowed to wear the "C" and thus he is not even really an offical captain.

In my opinion the Canucks chose Luongo as the captain not because he is the best leader on the team but because they figure if he is captain of the team then there is a greater chance of him resigning here when his contract expires in 2010. This is another stupid idea by the Canucks because we all know that Roberto is out of here the second his contract expires (regardless of who the captain is).

Now that Luongo is captain he will have so much extra pressure on him because this is now his team. Things were hard enough for him last year because well the Canucks cant score and now with Luongo being the team leader as well this becomes just too much pressure for him. I hate to say it but I can see Roberto having a Dan Cloutier like year because of all the extra pressure.

The last reason that Luongo as Captain is a dumb idea is because a goalie really cant lead during a game. A captain is suppose to give pep talks on the bench, fight for his teammates and give the ref an earful when he makes a bad call. Because Luongo is a goalie he cant do any of this stuff and so I don't get why he is the captain. Oh and Luongo hates to talk to the media which is another important role of the team captain.

I really hope that Luongo proves me wrong and he has a great year and is a great captain but I just cant see that happening. I think that Willie Mitchell would have made a way better captain for the Vancouver Canucks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see. Where to start? "Not even an official captain." So what? The on-ice duties of a captain are minimal. He can't take ceremonial faceoffs and he can't talk to the ref. Those are definitely the two most minor duties of a captain and can both be and often are handled by alternates.

You say that in your opinion they didn't choose him because he's the best leader. That's an opinion, and an ill-informed one at best. He is without a doubt the best leader they have. He has always been vocal in the dressing room, and he works harder than anyone else on the team. He is their best player and leads by example. He was one of the team's biggest leaders for the last two years.

You say that "we all know he's out of here" but we don't. The Canucks are not anywhere near as bad a team as some people think. They had ridiculous injury trouble last year, at times losing four of their top six defensemen. How are you supposed to win in a situation like that? You can't. And in spite of that, they still missed the playoffs by a mere three points. If the Canucks continue to improve, which they easily could considering the cap space and young players they have available, I don't see Luongo bolting.

You say that this will put additional pressure on him. He has always put massive amounts of pressure on himself and him being a leader is nothing new. It's just official now. He played over 70 games the last two years. He's played in major international tournaments and was clutch in the playoffs two years ago. He is no stranger to pressure and in fact thrives on it.

Finally, you say that a goalie can't lead during a game. He can lead by example and this is what he is expected to do. He can talk between periods in the dressing room. The job of a captain is mostly done off-ice, not on-ice. Your arguments are all centered on the fact that he must stay in his crease during games. These arguments are mostly invalid.

One last thing: When writing, try to avoid saying things like "in my opinion" and "I think." It weakens your position. There's a reason journalists don't do it. Also, avoid calling things stupid or dumb. It's unprofessional and will also weaken the impact of your article.

Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

Haha, who in the world posted this anonymous comment?!?? Although, I do have to agree with her, Shane. You really should be more professional in writing for a BLOG!!! This is, after all, a highly respected and profound journal of academic excellence.

One last thing: When writing, try to be more arrogant and pretentious. It will definitely strengthen the impact of your online diary entry.

One even more last thing: Shane, in my personnel opinion based on the ill-enformed thoughts in my brain...i think your dumm AND stoopid.

Anonymous said...

lol

I posted that because I like to argue. It's how I kill time. The advice given can be taken or ignored. Arguing also does not make me arrogant or pretentious. He made a point, I made a counter-point.